Washed up while beach-combing on Sunday this week
When we stroll along a beach for our Sunday Beach-combing, there is always the chance that we might find beautiful or fascinating things, like driftwood, or a message in a bottle, that have been washed up in the surf, or items left behind by sun worshipers. But many a time what we find might be useless rubbish, interesting only because we are curious as to how it got there. Whatever the case, we enjoy the walk in the salty air, the feel of the sand between our toes and the warmth of the sun on our backs as we listen to the sound of the surf.
Come beach-combing with me, have a look at what I found while surfing the Net this week. Pick it up and have a look, keep it, pass it on or throw it back into the surf!
- If you have to buy more herbs than you actually need to use, chop what’s left over coarsely and place in an ice-cube tray. Fill with olive oil and freeze. Now you have fresh herbs ready to use, in useful quantities. Once frozen, store them in freezer bags.
- Puree kitchen scraps in a liquidizer, then strain the water into your watering can to water your plants with. Add the pulp to your compost – it will break down faster.
Tips for “him” – home & car maintenance, security & safety.
- Grease on your best suit? Get it off straight away by rubbing a stick of chalk over it. If you have no chalk try talcum powder. Then brush off with a soft brush.
- Before you take that gizmo apart, have a piece card or paper on which to place the parts. Place each part in the order that you removed it, to help you put the thing back together again. Pencil notes next to the parts for reminders.
- Download the App Square from your smartphone to accept credit card payments from friends or from your garage sale.
- Hit Control-F to search quickly for a word within a document or site.
2 cents more whilst camping on the coast
- The phrase “rule of thumb” is derived from and old English law which stated that you couldn’t beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb.
- The word “lethologica” describes the state of not being able to remember the word you want. I wonder if I will be able to remember it?
This or that?
- Dakar is the capital city of Senegal. It was formerly the destination of cars taking part in the Dakar rally. Since 2009 the Dakar has taken place in South America due to fears of terrorism in neighboring Mauritania.
- Dhaka is the capital of Bangla Desh.
Did you know?
- It’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
- Leonardo Da Vinci invented the scissors.